GLST 220 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Zondervan, New International Version

43 views3 pages
Gospel Culture vs Salvation Culture
Examining the Church
Heather King DB #1 GLST220-B03 LUO
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Therefore, go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the
Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And
surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”1
The controversy surrounding the distinction between the gospel and salvation has been
fought in the privacy of the church for centuries. Sadly, the result has led to the preaching of
false gospel, thus turning from the teaching of Jesus Himself. Those who adamantly adhere to
the misguided notion that the gospel is equal to the “Plan of Salvation” are, rightly and correctly,
called soterians.2 The gospel is much broader than personal salvation.3 The Salvation Culture
focuses on membership and personal salvation, while important, both are self-focused. The
Gospel Culture emphasis is on Jesus and following Him, focusing on the salvation of all
humanity.4. While the Gospel Culture is transforming people into Disciples, the Salvation
Culture pushing people to choose Jesus.. “What can I do to get you in here? Free salvation with
1 Matthew 28:18-20 NIV
2 McKnight, Scot. The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited. Zondervan, 2011.
3 Ibid. pp.29
4 Liberty University Online. Clarifying the Gospel. Presentation.
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class