NUTR 395 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Medical Record, Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act, Mail Order

105 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What is it: health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996, first administrative rules released in april 2003, addresses the ways in which health related information can be stored and transmitted c. i. Relevant to any organization that deals with health information: relates to d. i. Persons, businesses and agencies that furnish, bill or receive payment for health care in the normal course of business anyone who uses or sees confidential information a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. a. i. 4. Who is affected: patients, employees, clinicians, volunteers, contractors f. Patients do have some control: patients must trust caregivers in order to provide quality care. Notice of privacy practices (npp: patients must be given a clear, written explanation of how a facility may use their phi, care cannot be denied to a patient who refuses to sign the npp c. Substance abuse information protected separately under 42 cfr pt. Elements of phi: name, address, city, county, zip code f.