[BIOL 103] - Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam (23 pages long!)

509 views23 pages

Document Summary

Define the following terms: organelle, cell, tissue, organ, organ system, organism, population, community, ecosystem, biosphere, biology, producers, consumers, decomposers, systems biology, genes. Organelle: membrane bound structures with specific functions (i. e. nucleus, mitochondria) Cell: basic units of life separated from environment by a membrane (i. e. nerve cell, muscle cell) Tissue: made of groups of similar cells (i. e. connective tissue, nervous tissue) Organ: provide specific functions for an organism (i. e. brain, spinal cord) Organ system: organs working together to perform specific functions (i. e. nervous system, circulatory system) Population: localized group of individuals of a species. Community: all living organisms in particular ecosystem. Ecosystem: all organisms living in a particular area and nonliving environmental components (air, water, soil, sun) Biosphere: all environments on earth that support life. Producers: photosynthetic organisms that provide food in ecosystem (algae, bacteria, mostly plants) Consumers: organisms that eat plants of other animals (humans, animals) Decomposers: organisms that decompose wastes and remains of dead organisms (insects, fungi, recycling)