CAS PH 160 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Philosophical Skepticism, Critical Thinking, Modus Ponens

103 views2 pages

Document Summary

A collection of statements in which some (premises) support another (the conclusion); aims to convince us that some statement is true. Critical thinking: the systematic evaluation of foundation of beliefs of statements by rational standards: self-interested thinking (egocentric thinking) I believe p because p coincides with my interests. attending selectively to evidence believing our activities are justified/ worth while: appeal to popularity. The pressure of accepting a statement or act in a certain way comes from the mere popularity of a belief: appeal to common practice. An argument is valid if the negation of the conclusion contradicts the conjunction of the premises. an argument in which the conclusion must be true if the premises are true. A set of sentences is incompatible if they cannot all be true. (at the same time: give an example of modus ponens: valid. I will not go out. (q: give an example of modus tollens: valid.