PHILOS 104 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Immanuel Kant, Categorical Imperative, Hypothetical Imperative

85 views6 pages
23 Jul 2018
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Using the second example of the lying promise ( groundwork , p. 422), discuss kant"s procedure for applying the categorical imperative. Is it more plausible, for instance, than the utilitarian account of our promissory duties (compare. In this essay, i will discuss kant"s categorical imperative (a facet central to his morality standpoint) through the particular use of his second example, the lying promise. Before doing so, i will outline the background content of kant"s argument he logically progresses through in order to inform the reader of information necessary to understand kant"s categorical imperative. I will then assess the lying promise in terms of its maxim as well as how kant utilizes his categorical imperative procedure to test said maxim. I will explain why an insincere promise fails the test, thus falling into the category of a hypothetical imperative . This second example kant enumerates only yields a plausible account of promissory obligations to a degree.