Aijia Glenn Luke Navin Rabbit Samir
Name of the person to your Left
Name of the person to your Right
All my work is my own. I had no prior knowledge of the exam
contents nor will I share the contents with others in CS10 who have not
taken it yet. (please sign)
Instructions
Don’t Panic!
This booklet contains 6 pages including this cover page. Put all answers on these pages; don’t hand in
any stray pieces of paper.
Please turn off all pagers, cell phones and beepers. Remove all hats and headphones.
You have 170 minutes to complete this exam. The final is closed book, no computers, no PDAs, no cell
phones, no calculators, but you are allowed three double-sided sets of notes. There may be partial
credit for incomplete answers; write as much of the solution as you can. When we provide a blank,
please fit your answer within the space provided.
Question
Total
Score
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Short-answer Questions (2 pts each, we drop lowest score)
Question 1: Briefly name one practical application for IBM’s Watson technology. (aside from mobile phones)
Question 2: Argue both perspectives of the game theory debate using only one sentence each.
A weak solve is better than a strong solve because
A strong solve is better than a weak solve because
Question 3: What are the ugly, difficult details of programing a hundred-thousand-node compute cluster that
the elegant MapReduce abstraction hides from the user?
Question 4:Cloud computing is great, but it’ll never work with Big Data, since the cost and/or time of
transporting large datasets to/from the cloud is too great.” Circle True or False and explain in one sentence.
Question 5: How is Pandoraable to satisfy the demand of its 100+ Million users with so few media servers?
Question 6: What’s the hardest thing Twitter has to do (from an engineering point of view)?
Question 7: Prof Yelick said computing is addressing two global challenges. One was “our changing world:
understanding climate change, alternative energy sources, mitigation techniques, etc.What was the other?
Question 8: You need to find an efficient polynomial-time algorithm (exact) solution to a tough problem, but
you’re not succeeding. However, you do prove your problem is NP-complete. How does that help?
Question 9: How could quantum computers help with the subset problem? That’s 2n combinations to test!
Question 10: In 1994, a couple in Milipitas (in CA near here!) were convicted because their bulletin board,
dubbed “The Nastiest Place on Earth”, contained obscene material. Why was this an important ruling?
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

University of california, berkeley college of engineering. The name of your lab ta (please circle) I had no prior knowledge of the exam contents nor will i share the contents with others in cs10 who have not taken it yet. (please sign) This booklet contains 6 pages including this cover page. Put all answers on these pages; don"t hand in any stray pieces of paper. Please turn off all pagers, cell phones and beepers. You have 170 minutes to complete this exam. The final is closed book, no computers, no pdas, no cell phones, no calculators, but you are allowed three double-sided sets of notes. There may be partial credit for incomplete answers; write as much of the solution as you can. When we provide a blank, please fit your answer within the space provided. Question 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 online total.