PHIL 1091 Study Guide - Final Guide: Act Utilitarianism, Principle Of Double Effect, Consequentialism

57 views2 pages

Document Summary

Rule utilitarianism: consequentialism: if you want to know whether an action is moral, look to the consequences of doing the action a. i. Utilitarian happiness (pleasure on balance with pain: act utilitarianism: do the action that produces the greatest happiness, rule utilitarianism: follow the rule that produces the greatest happiness c. i. Rule fixes some problems with act: problems with act d. i. (1) problem of injustice d. i. 1. Sometimes unjust actions produce greatest happiness d. ii. (2) doctrine of the double effect d. ii. 1. Some actions have the same result, but different rules for following them d. ii. 2. Trolley coming, pull lever and kill someone d. ii. 2. a. If accident or on purpose the act is the same, act utilitarian says that the action produces the most happiness so is just d. ii. 2. b. However, if doing it on purpose then rule utilitarian would say they are not both morally permissible. Kierkegard: three stages (stages on life"s way) a. i. Transition between boredom and excitement because of possibilities a. ii.