MUSA1200 Study Guide - Final Guide: Florentine Camerata, Duple And Quadruple Metre, Cantus Firmus

65 views21 pages

Document Summary

Exam #1: middle ages, renaissance and baroque era. For entertainment of the courts and worship of god. Not written until 10th century before were transmitted orally. Pope gregory i standarized music (plainchant) ex: hildegard play of virtues 1098-1179. Modes not scales: aeolian- on a, ionian- on c, dorain on d, phrygian- on e, lydian- on f, mixolydian- on g. Polyphony (add a line to existing chant) Definite rhythm for voices to work together. Bottom voice =cantus firmus and quicker moving voice above ex: Perotin worked at notre dame and was first to layer music ex: behold spring by landini. I can all to well compare my lady by machaut. Arts become more personal and representative of human emotion. Word painting ex as vesta by weelkes. Counterpoint- different voices sounding right when played together. Mixed rhythmitic meter ex since robin hood. Madrigal ex since robin hood musical setting of a text n a single strophe.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers