GEOG 1410 : Geography 1HA3.pdf

118 views44 pages
10 Jan 2013
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 2 (skim pp. 48-57), focus on pp. 57-67 for today and pp. Important for the description and explanation of spatial patterns: relative space. Absolute space: mathematical projections i. e. maps of the world. Location: refers to a particular position in space. Absolute location: using predetermined grid coordinate system i. e. latitude and longitude. Relative location: open to interpretation i. e. takes a long time to reach a location. Nominal (or toponym) location: name that we give to particular locations i. e. mdcl 1305 i. A city in northern ireland: city of dairy (republican, catholic) or. Place: a location which has some particular significant meaning or identity attached to it e. g. childhood home: essentially all other homes are the same, however your home has a significant meaning to you specifically. Local and regional characteristics of culture flavor". We go to places because of the unique flavor that is added by different cultures. Distance: amount of space between two or more locations.