Sociology 1020 Study Guide - Final Guide: Sick Role, Epidemiological Transition, Advantageous

47 views5 pages

Document Summary

Durkheim argued that the main function of religion is to increase social cohesion by providing ritualized opportunities for people to experience the collective conscience. In contrast, marx held that religion reinforces social inequality: for example, feminists note the patriarchal nature of all major world religions, which promote the idea that men should hold authority over women in all matters. What social factors predict religiosity: the market theory of religion characterizes religious organizations as suppliers of services that are in demand by people who desire religious activities. East and north africa: a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s religiosity is deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)ed (cid:271)y su(cid:272)h fa(cid:272)tors as the i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s age a(cid:374)d socialization (whether he or she was brought up in a religious family). In doing so, schools homogenize future citizens by indoctrination into a common culture that is the basis of national solidarity: schools also sort students and steer them to different class positions as adults. What advances have women made toward educational equality and what challenges do.