Psychology 1000 Study Guide - Final Guide: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Trier Social Stress Test, Adrenal Gland

55 views15 pages
abdullah32 and 39352 others unlocked
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
111 documents

Document Summary

Stress can be defined/viewed in 3 ways: as a stimulus, defined in terms of the things causing it stressors, (i. e. causing stimuli or events that place strong demands on us, ex. I have so much stress in my life. Tim hortons concentration camp confinement: predictability sudden, unpredictable. 1: duration long-lasting, controllability no control over it, chronicity happens repeatedly (wears you down exhaustion) Parents discovered something you didn"t want them to know: whether it was a major event (defined as having a significant and long-term impact) or more of a day-to-day event, whether the event was positive or negative. Initially, stress was defined as anything requiring a person to adapt (good or bad) Now, define stress in terms of negative only (b/c they only adverse health and behavioral outcomes) indeed, the positive life events sometimes counter/cancel out the negative impact of negative event.