BIOL239 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Endocrine System, Signal Transduction, Negative Feedback

53 views5 pages

Document Summary

Definition: study of structure & function of a living organism & its component parts: biological energy: atp, humans are heterotrophic, plants are autotrophic. Information flow: signal transduction pathways, cell-cell signals, homeostasis: equilibrium state reached by the body"s input/output signals. Levels of organization: chemical, cellular, tissue, organ, organ system, organism, ecosystem/biosphere. Tissue types: cells are held together by junctions, anchoring junction (i. e. desmosomes): hold cells to one another and to ecm, gap junction (i. e. adherens): communication, tight junction (i. e. occluding): block movement of material between cells. 4 tissue types: epithelial, connective, muscle and neural. Epithelial (5: protect internal environment, regulate exchange of material, any material that moves between these two environments must cross epithelium, cells connect to one another and the basal lamina (basement membrane) Secretory: synthesize & release material into external environment (i. e. blood) Ciliated: line airways & female reproductive tract (pestc) Connective (5: structural support & barriers, has extensive ecm containing: collagen, elastin and fibronectin (3)