AFM202 Study Guide - Final Guide: Business Travel, Disability Insurance, Employee Benefits

65 views3 pages
Final exam part 3
Employee vs self employed
An employee is limited to certain deductions from employment income but a self-employed
business person can deduct all reasonable expenses incurred to earn business income
Employees and employers each pay CPP .% of a eploee’s salar i eess if $ up
to a maximum salary of $54900
Employees pay 1.88% of their salary up to a maximum salary of $50800 for EI
Employers must pay 1.4 times of that amount for EI.
“elf eploed perso do’t pa EI ut hae to pa oth the eploer’s share ad the
eploee’s share of CPP up to aiu of $.. CPP paid as the eploer’s share
can be deducted as a business expense.
A business may choose an off-calendar year end for business however any business income
earned from a sole-proprietorship with an off-calendar year end must include in income an
estimate of the income for the calendar year.
A estiated ioe iluded i a tapaer’s ioe is deduted fro the
tapaer’s ioe i the folloig ear.
E.g. if the year end is Jan 31st, must take the income earned in the month of Jan and
multiply it by 335/31.
This estiate of additioal ioe to report i the aledar ear is ko as stu
period ioe.
Employment income is included in income on a cash basis. For example, a bonus may be
paid to a eploee i  related to the eploee’s  aoplishet. This ous is
included in the 2017 employment income.
Deductions from employment income
Allowance received for motor or travel expenses is not taxable to the employee as income if
its reasonable.
Unreasonable allowance will be added to the income but the employee can claim a
deduction for eligible expenses.
Alloae paid  a eploer to a eploee for usig the eploee’s ar is reasoale.
$0.54/km for the first 5000 km and $0.48 for each additional km driven in 2016.
Legal expenses paid in related to the collection of salary from an employer is deductible
81h: Paid to travel for employment purposes is deductible. The employee must be away
from work.
h: Epeses relatig to a otor ehile used for ork is dedutile. Does’t out
driving to and from work.
COMMISSIONED EMPLOYEES
Can choose between deduct the expenses allowed under 81h and 81h1 or deduct
reasonable selling expenses paid in the year under 81f which is more than just travel and
motor vehicle expenses.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class