SOC 3310 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Social System, Randall Collins, Sexual Repression

94 views11 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to contemporary social theory week 1. Sociology reflects social change: it is autonomous therefore shaped (not determined) by changing social environment, deal w new problems: tonnie"s community to society. Once had communities w many permanent associations ex. church, profession (gemeinschaft) Now left with only individual and stats (geschellshaft) Falsifiability: condition of framing a hypothesis so if you can"t prove it, you can still disprove it. I get sick when i eat it therefore i am allergic) Methodology: study of assumptions determining which methods are relevant and why (combine perspective and method) Positivist / natural science: through hard sciences : objective facts and look for social laws. Interpretive / interactionist: knowledge based on interpretation of ppl involved, also explain causality: pursue meaning of events for individuals. Critical / ideological: sociologist possess ultimate reality (subset of conflict: society based on conflict not consensus. Understand meaning in order to explain and describe what happened and why.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers