BIOC 3570- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 13 pages long!)

186 views13 pages

Document Summary

Midterm 1 study guide key concepts. Uv/vis to protein purification - affinity chromatography and prob. High energy - low wavelength: if you decrease wavelength you increase frequency (v). Rayleigh scattering (by molecules) >>r and i/i0= -4(shorter wavelengths scatter more than longer wavelengths) Refers to the scattering of light off the molecules of the air, and can be extended to scattering from particles up to about a tenth of the wavelength of the light ( blue-sky law ) Tyndall scattering (by colloids, bigger particle size involved) r~ and i/i0= -2. % transmittance (i/i0) so, if all the light passes through a solution without any absorption, then absorbance is zero, and percent transmittance is 100%. If all the light is absorbed, then percent transmittance is zero, and absorption is infinite. Chromophores - pi to pi,* = conjugated r=ch-ch=r, and aromatic , prosthetic groups: nad, fad, hemes (coloured), peptide bonds 190-