SOC 885 Study Guide - Final Guide: Haleh Afshar, Baroness Afshar, Carolyn Maloney, Islamic Feminism

358 views26 pages
NOTES SOC 885
January 22, 2018 Lecture 3
-Timeless orient  The east Edward Said
-Backward
-Lazy
-Alien
-The ideal other to the west
-The orient was described as someone the west was not
-The West
-Rational
-Moral
-Christian
-Pinnacle of civilization
-Progressed
-Modern
-Everything the east is not
-Orientalism: was a way of viewing the west, it was about how the west has been making
statements about the other; the corporate institution for dealing with the orient; dealing with it
by making statements about it, authorizing views of it, describing it, by teaching it, settling it,
ruling over it
-Google definition: Orientalism is a a of seeig that iagies, ephasizes,
exaggerates and distorts differences of Arab peoples and cultures as compared to that
of Europe and the U.S
The est/ The oiet
-A system of representations framed by a whole set of forces: colonialism and imperialism
Knowledge and power
-A subject to be colonized
-Pretext for projects for domination
-Western control of the east
-The west thing that they are smarter and more civilized so I should therefore control
the to sae the eause thee so ueduated ad ed up disuptig thei ultue
istead ad tig to take oe it eause ou thik oue ore dominant than them
-The mindset of where this idea of the east being uneducated and them trying to take
oe east is eause thee tig to help, ut the dot udestad ot eeoe
needs help, some people are happy the way they are, and just because thee diffeet
does not mean they are any less than you
-Within the east, is there such thing as internalized orientalism?
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 26 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
So do eastern people find themselves better than another part of the east, do Turkish people
find themselves as more superior than Saudi Arabia, o sie oe ouldt die util a hile
ak i “audi, ae as a e geei opiio to e eated i ou eds to thik that thee ot
as educated as are
-What is the sigifiae of Edad “aids ok?
January 24, 2018 Lecture 4
Where is the orient?
Thees diffeet oietalis ad diffeet oiet
Middle east etc.
Examples of orientalist discourses:
- “auel Hutigtos faous atile The lash of iilizatio  Talks about the west
and then Islam
-Edwards response The lash of igoae 
Article 1 Orientalism
-Fist: oeties, poidig oeties to “aids elatie eglet of gede ad seualit
-“hes saig that he has ee gede lid i his ok
-Images of women and images of sexuality are central to colonial discourse, not simply a
subfield, so he should have discussed more about women in that culture
-Critique of the assertion that orientalism was an exclusively male province
-People brought up how there were women artists and writers who were also part of this
orientalism
-Feminists scholar spoke about how there were different parts of orientalism and women were
one of them and not just men
Second: The real orient
-To reveal the complex realities of gender and women in the middle east, so people were
ispied ad said the should go out ad sho that the east ist hat the peeie it as
-Careful and sympathetic historical and ethnographic research that combats stereotypes
-They were conducting research to show how middle eastern women are active, practical,
powerful and resourceful (as opposed to passive, silent and oppressed)
-Stereotypes of the orient are linked and integral idea of dominance
Third: historical recovery of feminism in the middle east
The tricky situation
4th: The politics of contemporary middle east feminisms
-A critique of local patriarchal structures
-When you stand up against sexism in your own society, it can be easily changed as native
confirmation of already negative and simplistic images being portrayed
-So how do you stop the west from stating that women are oppressed when you yourself are
standing up against it
Unlock document

-Critique of orientalism
-Critique of local gender hierarchies and gendered power structures in M.E. societies
Haleh Afsha Ca I see ou hai? Choie, agecy and attitudes: The dilemma of faith and
feiis fo Musli oe ho oe
Is orientalism still relevant?
-Islamophobia: Post 9-11 and 7/1 context
-Unfounded hostility towards Islam, and therefore fear or dislike of all or most Muslims
Islamaphobia
-Monolithic
-Separate: unified culture
-The other: no common values with other cultures
-Essentially barbaric and sexist
-Uncivilized
-Muslims unwilling to conform to the values of the West
-Muslims are therefore essentialized, otherized
-Muslims in general and the middle east in particular were burdened with the labels of
terrorism and evilness
-Laellig Isla as Euopes othe
Policy changes: demonization of the headscarf across Europe
-French ban on the headscarf
Class 5 January 29, 2018
The war on terror
2001 (11th September) | 9/11 Attack
Four aeorplanes were hijacked by members of Al Qaeda. Two were crashed into the two towers
of the World Trade Center in New York, one was crashed into the Pentagon in Washington and
the fourth crashed into a field in Pennsylvania after the hijackers were overpowered by
passengers. A total of 2,993 people were killed in the attack.
2001 12 september
Bush declares war on terror
2001 (7th October) Operation Enduring Freedom
A series of American and British air strikes on Kabul, Jalalabad and Kandahar in Afghanistan
2003 (11th February)
A tape recording of Osama bin Laden calling on Iraqis to carry out suicide bombings against US
forces is interpreted as evidence of a link between Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.
Unlock document

Document Summary

The orient was described as someone the west was not. Timeless orient (cid:862) the east(cid:863) edward said. Google definition: orientalism(cid:863) is a (cid:449)a(cid:455) of seei(cid:374)g that i(cid:373)agi(cid:374)es, e(cid:373)phasizes, exaggerates and distorts differences of arab peoples and cultures as compared to that of europe and the u. s (cid:862)the (cid:449)est(cid:863)/ (cid:862)the o(cid:396)ie(cid:374)t(cid:863) A system of representations framed by a whole set of forces: colonialism and imperialism. A(cid:373)uel hu(cid:374)ti(cid:374)gto(cid:374)(cid:859)s fa(cid:373)ous a(cid:396)ti(cid:272)le (cid:862)the (cid:272)lash of (cid:272)i(cid:448)ilizatio(cid:374)(cid:863) (cid:1005)(cid:1013)(cid:1013)(cid:1007) talks about the west and then islam. Fi(cid:396)st: (cid:272)o(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:272)ti(cid:448)es, p(cid:396)o(cid:448)idi(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:272)ti(cid:448)es to aid(cid:859)s (cid:396)elati(cid:448)e (cid:374)egle(cid:272)t of ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) a(cid:374)d se(cid:454)ualit(cid:455) He(cid:859)s sa(cid:455)i(cid:374)g that he has (cid:271)ee(cid:374) ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) (cid:271)li(cid:374)d i(cid:374) his (cid:449)o(cid:396)k. Images of women and images of sexuality are central to colonial discourse, not simply a subfield, so he should have discussed more about women in that culture. Critique of the assertion that orientalism was an exclusively male province. People brought up how there were women artists and writers who were also part of this orientalism.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers