PSY 202 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Strategic Family Therapy, Operant Conditioning, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

101 views34 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 15 & 16 (plus everything else at the end) ***what is mental illness could be a 5 mark questions*** *** (know them and pros and cons)**: statistical rarity: We cannot rely on statistical rarity to define mental disorder because not all infrequent conditions are pathological and many mental illness are quite common: subjective distress: Most mental disorders interfere with people"s ability to function in everyday life. Not all conditions that impair ability to function are mental disorders (i. e. laziness: societal disapproval: Societal attitudes shape our views shape are views on abnormality. I. e. we used to think that being gay was a mental disability: biological dysfunction: Many mental disorders may result from the breakdowns or failures of physiological systems. (i. e. psychopath"s frontal lobes are as developed as a 15 year olds would be) Historical conceptions of mental illness: from demons to asylums.