GPHY 227 Study Guide - Final Guide: Boosterism, Creative Class, Major Crimes

63 views4 pages

Document Summary

Urban geography, chapter 9: molding and marketing the image of the city. Brand in the context of cities, a brand is an overall image of, and set of associations (that rest in peoples heads) about, a city that is developed through a concerted strategy by local growth coalitions. Ranked cities in terms of: (correspond with brand strength) Ability to leverage these assets to tourist attractions. Slogan a pithy striking, evocation and memorable phrase; i. e. what happens in vegas, stays in vegas. The olympics and other mega-events/festivals reshape the identities of cities, governed as urban elites compete with one other to gain global brand dominance. Speculative economic development strategies investing in urban development (i. e. highways) or in other developmental related practices (i. e. Speculative economic development strategies investing in urban development (i. e. highways) or in other developmental related practices (i. e. workforce training) not because a buyer, user or employer is committed but as a way of stimulating investment;