SOCI-225 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Actus Reus, Mens Rea, Edmonton Sun

158 views7 pages
SOCI 225 - CRIMINOLOGY
TEST #1 REVIEW Chapters’ 1, , , 
Note: If you can cover all of the points on this study guide and know the answers, then you will do just fine. That
said, make sure to read your text and notes to supplement the lecture slides as the slides are meant to be brief
fo a easo. Also, please ote that ot all ateial fo the Media letue is foud i the tetook.
“oe shot ase uestios ill hae o patiula pefet ase. Its oe aout ho ou atiulate ad
contextualize your argument that will matter. If you fully respond based on meaningful and logical information,
ou ill hae o pole ith these tpes of uestios. But ou hae to ko ou stuff …
Lastl, if I ask ou to poide a eaple to substantiate your answer, please provide a full sentence statement
ad eplaatio. Fo eaple, if I sa to poide a eaple of hat NC‘MD a look like, dot just sa, like
the Viet Li ase. That ot gie ou a aks eause it doest tell me that you actually know what
you are talking about.
Chapter #1 Introduction to Crime, Criminals, and Criminology
- The legal definition of crime
- The sociological definition of crime. Why do we have one?
- The difference between proactive and reactive responses to crime.
- Will there ever be a crime-fee old? “peak to Eile Dukheis “oiet of “aits
- Thee ae fos of deiae that ae geeall toleated i Caadia/Weste soiet. Wh? Is Caada
different than other countries in terms of accepted deviance? Explain.
- Is crime socially defined? How and why? And also, by whom are crimes defined? - What is the consensus
approach? Why is this important to know?
- What is the conflict approach? Why is this important to know?
The Media (Part of Chapter #1) The Relationship between the Media and Crime (NOT ALL INFO IS FOUND
IN THE TEXTBOOK)
- “tale Cohes oept of Moal Pai, hat it eas, ad its oseuees to the geeal puli ad
societal responses to crime
- What does it mean to sa if it leeds, it leads?
- What are some negative consequences of the media? Provide and fully explain examples related to crime.
- It what ways can the media be helpful?
- Udestad the oept of Big Bothe ot the TV sho ; ad the pos ad ons of using that concept in
terms of crime control.
- Know the trends of violence in television programs and the study that looked at the consequences of children
watching violent TV. Is this study reliable?
- How does the media generally portray crime in Canada?
- Speak to differences between media outlets and the people who choose them (e.g. Facebook, The Edmonton
Sun, CNN etc).
- Why are we so fearful of crime? How is that related to policy and law-making?
- What is a crime of passion? How does the media play-up on these types of crimes?
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- Do the media prey on certain groups of people in their stories? (i.e. age, gender, ethnicity, religion). What are
soe oseuees that a ou as a esult? e.g. “oalia a haged ith gu iolee ….. - Why is
context so important when speaking of crime and human behaviour?
Chapter #3 Criminal Law
- Basic criminal procedure and procedural provisions in Canada - What is oo la? - What is actus reus?
Criminal procedure refers to legislation that specifies the procedures to follow in the prosecution of a criminal
case. Common law is the laws judges make when there is no legislation in the area to cover the crime. Actus
reus is the act which includes the conduct, the surrounding or material circumstances and the consequences of
the conduct.
- What is mens rea? Know the difference between objective and subjective mens rea.
Mens rea is the mind, or intent behind the crime. Subjective mens rea is the notion that an accused can not be
convicted of a crime unless they deliberately committed the act, realized the act might bring about prohibited
consequences or were willing blind to the consequences. Objective mens rea is the notion that a reasonable
person would not have committed the act given the same situation so the accused should be convicted.
- Understand how one can become a party to an offence
A person can become a party to a criminal offence if they actually commit the offence, if they aid or abet the
offence, if they formed a common intention with others to commit the crim and if they counseled the
commission of the offense committed.
- Understand what an inchoate offence is
An inchoate offence is a crime in embryo or one that has not bee oitted et. This ie doest ilude
bad thoughts, but actual planning of a crime which may include counseling another person, the criminal intent
even if they crime would be impossible to commit and conspiracy between more than two people when they
form a common intention to commit a crime.
- Ko hat ouselig aothe peso i a iial offee eas
To counsel another person is too procure, solicit, or incite another person to commit a crime.
- Ko hat iial attept eas
Occurs when an individual does or omits to do anything for the purpose of carrying out a previously formed
intention to commit a crime. The conduct must constitute a substantial step towards the completion of the
crime that is intended.
- Ko hat ospia eas
Agreement by two or more persons to commit a criminal offence.
- Ko hat NC‘MD eas in full
NCRMD means Not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder.
- Know what the two most common forms of mental illness raised in a NCRMD case are
The two most common forms of NCRMD cases are schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder.
- What are the three options for an NCRMD accused? Why can some of these options anger common citizens of
Canada?
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Test #1 review chapters" 1, (cid:1007), (cid:1008), (cid:1009) Note: if you can cover all of the points on this study guide and know the answers, then you will do just fine. That said, make sure to read your text and notes to supplement the lecture slides as the slides are meant to be brief fo(cid:396) a (cid:396)easo(cid:374). Also, please (cid:374)ote that (cid:374)ot all (cid:373)ate(cid:396)ial f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the (cid:858)media(cid:859) le(cid:272)tu(cid:396)e is fou(cid:374)d i(cid:374) the te(cid:454)t(cid:271)ook. O(cid:373)e sho(cid:396)t a(cid:374)s(cid:449)e(cid:396) (cid:395)uestio(cid:374)s (cid:449)ill ha(cid:448)e (cid:374)o pa(cid:396)ti(cid:272)ula(cid:396) pe(cid:396)fe(cid:272)t a(cid:374)s(cid:449)e(cid:396). It(cid:859)s (cid:373)o(cid:396)e a(cid:271)out ho(cid:449) (cid:455)ou a(cid:396)ti(cid:272)ulate a(cid:374)d contextualize your argument that will matter. If you fully respond based on meaningful and logical information, (cid:455)ou (cid:449)ill ha(cid:448)e (cid:374)o p(cid:396)o(cid:271)le(cid:373) (cid:449)ith these t(cid:455)pes of (cid:395)uestio(cid:374)s. but (cid:455)ou ha(cid:448)e to k(cid:374)o(cid:449) (cid:455)ou(cid:396) stuff . Lastl(cid:455), if i ask (cid:455)ou to (cid:862)p(cid:396)o(cid:448)ide a(cid:374) e(cid:454)a(cid:373)ple(cid:863) to substantiate your answer, please provide a full sentence statement a(cid:374)d e(cid:454)pla(cid:374)atio(cid:374).