PSYC 2001 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Discriminant, Scatter Plot

173 views8 pages

Document Summary

This course is designed to introduce you to how psychologists evaluate (consumer) and create (producer) information using the scientific method: as a consumer, you will learn basic concepts and frameworks for evaluating findings you read about: in the news in other psychology courses and scientific journal articles, as a producer, you will learn a foundation of basic tools to create your own studies. Scientific reasoning: disciplined thinking and process (i. e. , systematic, structured, and an attempt to remove bias) that involves a willingness to give up idea if there is no support for it, variables, characteristics or values that change, has at least two values or levels (e. g. , low, high, variables can be concrete or abstract, variables can be measured or manipulated, researchers must specify the abstract variables (i. e. , conceptual definitions) using operational definitions, three common types of measures of variables, ways to measure conceptual variables (i. e. , ways to transform abstract variables into operational definitions)