GEOS 1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Seismometer, Richter Magnitude Scale, Cascadia Subduction Zone

43 views2 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Example: 1999, chi chi earthquake - taiwan i. Earthquake resulted in an instant waterfall (6 meters high) b. Earthquakes- sudden movement along a fault; sudden release of stored tectonic energy i. ii. iii. Energy release propagates as seismic waves (and heat, but it is not detected at the surface) Fault- a break in bedrock whose sides move relative to each other. 1) the closest point on the earth"s surface to the focus iv. Surface ruptures indicate the true cause/nature of earthquakes i. ii. H. f. reid; noted meters of displacement along san andreas fault after the 1906 san. Sudden lurch of fault over several meters indicated stress is stored for years then released i. e. movement of fence d. Adequate to shift huge volumes of rock several meters in a minute or two a. Normal fault-piece of crust slides downhill along the fault. i. Associated with divergent boundaries, where crust is stretched/elongated b.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers