CRM 1001 Lecture 4: Gender in Crime

71 views2 pages

Document Summary

Gender is the strongest predictor of crime. Women commit less crime than men: especially serious, violent crimes, there is higher female criminal involvement in white collar crime, theft (shoplifting), prostitution. Women are more likely to run away from home. Has female involvement in crime increased over time: steffenmeiser and schwartz used data to measure changes in female involvement in crime over time. They used data ucr data, national crime victimization survey, sentencing/conviction data (not as centralized as the others) Increases in fraud and larceny, misdemeanor, and felony assaults. First they look for patterns in male involvement and compare women to the(cid:373) to see if it"s a(cid:374) o(cid:448)erall tre(cid:374)d of (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ging in policing or other varying factors that would affect both men and women. Distribution of offenses has shifted, but similar sex differences remain: exception: increase in minor property crimes for females. Ma(cid:455)(cid:271)e (cid:455)ou(cid:374)ger (cid:449)o(cid:373)e(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)e(cid:373)e(cid:374)t i(cid:374) (cid:272)ri(cid:373)e has i(cid:374)(cid:272)reased (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause of a shift in values and how they were raised.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers