ED PSYCH 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Language Acquisition Device, Speech Segmentation, Perceptual Learning

36 views3 pages

Document Summary

04/03/18 lecture 16: cognitive development in infancy and attachment: theories of language development, behaviorist perspective: language is acquired through principles of learning, operant conditioning: adult reinforce sounds & words similar to own language. Limitation: cannot account for why humans, but not other species, acquire language: nativist perspective: language is biologically based ability present at birth (chomsky, 1957) Language acquisition device (lad): innate system that contains set of rules common to all languages. Language areas in brain: bro(cid:272)a"s area: supports gra(cid:373)(cid:373)ati(cid:272)al pro(cid:272)essi(cid:374)g & la(cid:374)guage production, wer(cid:374)i(cid:272)ke"s area: pla(cid:455)s a role i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:373)prehe(cid:374)di(cid:374)g & (cid:449)ord (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. Limitation: difficulty specifying universal grammar, grammatical knowledge does not appear innate. Interactionist perspective: language is a product of interaction between biology. Infant signals (crying, grasping, smiling) to promote contact: 2. Attachment in the making (6 weeks to 2-8 months) Infant begins to prefer primary attachment figure: begin to develop a sense of trust the expectation that the caregiver will respond when signaled.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers