RELG 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Simony, Potestas, Pope Gelasius I

31 views2 pages

Document Summary

Evaluate each person that was after muhammad: long chain of people after muhammad. Struggling w/ the text to understand its teachings. Consensus- involves the ulama, considered authoritative because. Muhammad, my community will never agree on an error, overtime muslim scholars came to an answer: authoritative precedence are set, 4th source of sharia/islamic law. Important relationships b/w the ecclesial powers and civil powers. 3rd test: pope gelasius i 492 ce-496ce. Attempted to define more explicitly the relationship between priestly and royal powers. In a letter said: at face value it says that religion weighs more than civic power however he"s actually saying that these powers should coexist equally. Bishop of rome is growing in power in relations to other popes. Potestis (latin)- meant real power backed by force. If you don"t have authority you"re not legitimate and you don"t need to be obeyed. Roman empire has fallen apart: germanic tribes had defeated them, consolidated under charlemagne- identified as a christian ruler.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers