BLAW 2301 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Security Interest, Lebron James, Contract

36 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
CH 17 THIRD PARTIES:
Third party beneficiary:
A third party beneficiary is someone who was not a party to the contract but stands to benefit
from it
Intended Beneficiaries
Intended beneficiary: May enforce a contract if the parties intended her to benefit. Has legal
right to sue for breach of contract.
First, she must show that the two contracting parties were aware of her situation and knew
that she would receive something of value from their deal. Second, she must show that
the promisee wanted to benefit her for one of two reasons: either to satisfy some duty owed or
to make her a gift.
Incidental Beneficiaries
Incidental beneficiary: Someone who might have benefited from a contract between two
others but has no right to enforce that agreement. Ex: getting a pool, incidental beneficiaries
are neighbors, friends etc.
Assignment and delegation:
Assignment: Transferring contract rights
Delegation: Transferring contract duties
Assignment
Ex: giving $200 per mnth dad to daughter direct deposit
Assignor: The one making an assignment, dad
Assignee: The one receiving an assignment, daughter
Obligor: The one obligated to do something, bank
Obligee: The one who has the obligation coming to her, dad first then daughter
What rights are Assignable?
Any contractual right may be assigned unless assignment:
(a) would substantially change the obligor’s rights or duties under the contract; or
(b) *is forbidden by law or public policy; or
(c) is validly precluded by the contract itself
Substantial Change
Assignment is prohibited if it would substantially change the obligor’s situation
Assignment is prohibited when obligor has agreed to provide personal services, . If my lawyer
is providing me service in DWI case, I can’t assign the right to receive my lawyer’s service to my
friend who is also getting a DWI.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Third party beneficiary: a third party beneficiary is someone who was not a party to the contract but stands to benefit from it. Intended beneficiary: may enforce a contract if the parties intended her to benefit. Has legal right to sue for breach of contract. First, she must show that the two contracting parties were aware of her situation and knew that she would receive something of value from their deal. Second, she must show that the promisee wanted to benefit her for one of two reasons: either to satisfy some duty owed or to make her a gift. Incidental beneficiary: someone who might have benefited from a contract between two others but has no right to enforce that agreement. Ex: getting a pool, incidental beneficiaries are neighbors, friends etc. Assignment and delegation: assignment: transferring contract rights, delegation: transferring contract duties. Assignment: ex: giving per mnth dad to daughter direct deposit. Obligor: the one obligated to do something, bank.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers