ENG 378 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Free Indirect Speech, New York City English, Martin Amis

24 views7 pages
29 Jan 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Can"t see beyond himself: to whom is the note addressed? It is meant for you out there, the dear, the gentle. (prologue) 09/24 10/01 the reader is meant to think this book is written for them, and directed to find themselves in john self or any other characters. Self-aware, read as a moral book: english and american, director (commercials movies) Me, i was up in stratford all my commercials, featured a big bimb in cool pants and a bra. Perceived education : speaking as an englishman, one of the pluses of. New york is that is makes you feel surprisingly well-educated and upper- class. (24: like her fat pale lover, she never reads a book. (19, actively aggressive towards education. "reader," someone seemed to say. (182: extraordinarily coarse, uncouth. Poor social skills: creature of (very) low habits indulgences: alcohol, drugs, sex, junk food, smoking. Bad habits = burning through money feeling more high status by spending money: no payoff.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers