BIOC 3110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Superoxide, Cytochrome C, Succinate Dehydrogenase

17 views3 pages

Document Summary

How is compartmentalization of different steps in oxidative phosphorylation achieved: occurs in mitochondria, specifically across the inner membrane, between matrix and inter-membrane space; etc sits in intermitochondrial membrane. How does the transfer of electrons through the electron transport chain generate atp: exergonic oxidation-reduction reactions (that transfer electrons from. Nadh/fadh2 to o2) generates a proton gradient, which is used to power synthesis of atp: structure: Made of four large protein complexes within membrane. Nadh-q reductase complex, succinate dehydrogenase, cytochrome c reductase complex, and cytochrome c oxidase complex. Within these protein complexes are electron carriers, which accept electrons from nadh/fadh2 and deliver it to oxygen eventually. Nadh in matrix delivers electrons to complex i (has iron, called nadh-q reductase complex); fadh2 skips complex i and delivers electrons onto complex ii (succinate dehydrogenase reaction, part of tca where we use fadh2, rather than nad) directly. Complex i and complex ii moves electrons onto coenzyme q.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers