MUS 361 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Ottorino Respighi, Symphonie Fantastique, Sergei Rachmaninoff

20 views2 pages
13 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Alleluia is in the proper of the mass. Lecture: accretions to the liturgy, these are additions to the liturgy that were added onto the mass that way composers had more options of music to write. a. i. Strophic - same melody with different words on each verse. Rhythmic - this made it easier for the congregation to follow a. i. 3. Conductus - some type of religious procession, however they did not take place in church because they allowed instruments a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. a. ii. 3. Hildegard of bingen was the first person to write liturgical dramas. a. iii. 1. a. She is considered the first woman composer. a. iv. The addition of words and/or music to a pre-existing chant. a. iv. 1. a. This allowed poets to express themselves with a. iv. 2. music. Sequences were a particular kind of trope a. iv. 2. a. Its origins came from the end of the alleluia chant, sometimes containing up to 60 notes. a. iv. 2. b. them a. iv. 2. c. a. iv. 2. c. i. Poets would take these melismas and add words to.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers