POLS 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Compulsory Voting, Voting Age, Youth Vote In The United States

35 views4 pages
11 Apr 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Lecture 1- political participation: ahca, why did the ahca fail? a. i. a. ii. a. iii. It didn"t have enough votes so it was pulled. 237 republicans out of 430 (there are 5 vacancies); need 216 to win. Republicans in the house are not unified: usually a bill would go to the relevant standing committee and then subcommittees, but a sprawling bill like the ahca touches on several, so it went to b. i. Rules: no subcommittees were involved; no hearings held, a process that takes months was done in a couple weeks, reform: make voting compulsory in the u. s, compulsory voting a. i. Would make the political system more legitimate a. ii. Would force politicians to pay attention to those who have been previously ignored because they didn"t have a voice a. iii. Would broaden influence to all, which is essential to democracy a. iv. Would allow more citizens to perform a valuable citizenship duty a. v.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers