CRIM 211 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Mandatory Retirement, Pro Se Legal Representation In The United States, Merit System

24 views4 pages

Document Summary

Often isolated and inconvenient locations: due to security- pretrial detention built next door. Older buildings with grand architecture: again, due to security- one doorway; image of unyielding strength. (cid:862)the ope(cid:396)atio(cid:374) of a(cid:374)y seg(cid:373)e(cid:374)t of the (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)i(cid:374)al justi(cid:272)e system with such speed and impersonality that defendants are treated as objects to be processed rather than individuals. (cid:863) Pressure to move cases- due i(cid:374) pa(cid:396)t to (cid:862)wa(cid:396) o(cid:374) d(cid:396)ugs(cid:863) The authority to make decisions without reference stop specific rules or facts. (cid:863) Decisions must be made throughout entire cjs (criminal justice system) Courtroom regulars must work together and therefore often cooperate. Sexual assault-underreported- belief victim will be blamed. Divorce cases- women get less re: property; men get less re: child custody. Behavior toward female lawyers and court employees. Good and bad behavior re: professional responsibilities- mostly lawyers. Tates do(cid:374)"t ag(cid:396)ee o(cid:374) ho(cid:449) lo(cid:374)g is too lo(cid:374)g. Range from 59 to 314 days from arrest to disposition; avg.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers