PSY 3061 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Myelin, Exocytosis, Conformational Change

18 views3 pages
19 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Gray matter = cell bodies (soma: unmyelinated. If soma were myelinated, certain digestive processes would not work properly: can cause isolation. Important to action potential: there are dendrites in cns, receive information from presynaptic cell, active conduction way of transferring impulse into soma to axon, na+ and ca2+ channels in surface of dendrites, very important for second messenger events. Important to generate and amplify action potentials: responsible for maintenance for a received signal. Io(cid:374)s do(cid:374)"t reall(cid:455) (cid:373)atter: concerned with release of g-protein, ca2+ flows in, causes profound physiological changes in cell. Increase circulation of available serotonin: occupy presynaptic autoreceptors, gives post-synaptic receptors a better chance at getting activated. Excitatory psps i(cid:374)crease the cell"s i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)al (cid:448)oltage a(cid:374) i(cid:374)crease the likelihood of setti(cid:374)g off a(cid:374) actio(cid:374) potential. Influx of na+, ca2+, k+, or efflux of cl- can produce a epsp. Inhibitory psps decrease the cell"s i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)al (cid:448)oltage, a(cid:374)d decrease the likelihood of setti(cid:374)g off a(cid:374) actio(cid:374) potential.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers