CPSY 4343 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Dialectic, Genetic Epistemology, Jean Piaget

7 views3 pages

Document Summary

Growth of personal consciousness: adualistic to projective to subjective to ejective. Projective stage, 2nd month: distinguishes between different projects according to capriciousness. Through imitation: learns about the subjective feelings (of effort, say) accompany the action. Example: child watches father with a pin. New sense of subjecthood is then ejected to other people (who were formerly projects) The ego (understanding of oneself) and the alter (understanding of other people as people) are thus born together . My sense of myself grows by imitation of you, and my sense of yourself grows in terms of my sense of myself. Both ego and alter are thus essentially social creations. Socius- idea of self (ego) and idea of other (alter) are inter-defined dialectically. Projective (outward) -> subjective (inner) -> ejective (read into the other) In persistent imitation- comparison of the attempt with the copy or representation that is being imitated. Imitation and social interaction play a major role.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers