LINGUIST 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Word Formation, Allomorph, Reduplication

92 views4 pages
17 Oct 2018
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Definition of morpheme: 2 classes of problems. Morphemes have no relation to other meanings. From this we can draw that these two units have meaning, but they do not work together to form a word not all things can be bound Give me three derivational morphemes and three inflectional morphemes. ***exam question: list the properties of derivational morphemes:**: change category or grammatical class of words: Quickly i. i. i. i: when they do not cause change in grammatical class, they cause change in meaning. A+moral, ex+husband, pre+test, non+conformist: typically indicate semantic relations within a word. Ful in painful has no connection with any morpheme beyond painful: typically occur with only some members of a class of morphemes. * friendhood, candlehood: common for them to have different meanings. Ize in americanize, burglarize, hospitalize, vaporize, terrorize, winterize: typically occur before inflectional suffixes. Chillier , derivational suffix - y precedes comparative suffix.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers