MIDEAST 207 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Damascus Gate, Selim I, Isaac Luria

79 views2 pages

Document Summary

Ottomans = turks , unable for years to conquer constantinople surround. Constantinople by conquering balkans thru dardanelles fall of. Constantinople: ottomans topple byzantine empire (1453) , constantinople renamed istanbul . Mamluks use cavalry ottomans conquer mamluk territory over 60 year period. Ottomans overtake mamluks in i/p region (1516) : led by selim i, father of. Constantinople: capital of remains of byzantine empire, on seam of euro & asia in. Asia minor, considered richest & most impenetrable city in world. Turks = warrior tribes from central asia , constantly moved thru islamic empire to fight. Sueleyman the magnificent (1520-1566): never visited i/p, sought to develop i/p region (especially palestinian port cities) to reinstate bottleneck as crux of world commerce region stabilized for moment. Herod"s now 800 year old wall disintegrating sueleyman funds construction of new wall (today called gates of old city of jerusalem ) Ex: nablus gate = part of sueleyman"s wall directly above gate from time of hadrian.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers