COMM 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Elaboration Likelihood Model, Carl Hovland, Paul Lazarsfeld

55 views5 pages

Document Summary

Stealing food to provide for your family. By comparing your own deplorable acts with even more serious behaviors of others, people make their own acts look trivial by comparison. Feeling that it was ok because others were doing things at least as bad as you. I was speeding but everyone was speeding more. By calling an otherwise reprehensible act something other than what it really is, act is made benign and acceptable. I sort of borrowed it instead of i stole it . Some people can readily depart from their moral principles. They feel that a recognized authority sanctions their behavior and takes responsibility for it. I did it because i was told to do so. When deplorable acts are performed in a group, individuals feel less personally responsible. I just went along with the crowd . After people engage in deplorable acts, they can ease their conscience by ignoring or distorting the harm caused by their conduct.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers