SOC 256 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Stepfamily

28 views3 pages

Document Summary

Families in which at least one adult has either biological or adopted children from a previous relationship a. i. 1. a. i. 2. Number of possibilities endless: cultural stereotypes of stepfamilies, demeaning portrayals of step-parents a. i. a. ii. Still beliefs are they stepfamilies are dysfunctional: negative reputations of step-parents, daly and ward argues that step-mother are more likely to privilege their own biological children and abuse or neglect their stepchildren a. i. Also claim step fathers are the ones more likely to abuse their stepchildren a. i. 1. The us department of health and human services claims that it is more likely to be the biological mother of children that abuse children: step-parents are less likely to invest financially in their step-children b. i. They may have other financial obligations that prevent them from doing this: stepfamilies have attempted to de-stigmatize by calling them other names such as c. i. Divorce became the leading reason for remarriage over death of a spouse.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers