PSYC 3230 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Caffeine, Substance Intoxication, Substance Abuse

17 views3 pages
26 Mar 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Substance-related disorders: clinical description and statistics: substance-related disorders (chemical) Involve use and abuse of psychoactive substances (chemical substances that change brain function and result in alterations of perception, mood, consciousness, and/or behavior) Dsm-5 includes diagnoses for 10 drug classes: substance use disorders (sud, substance induced disorders, addictive disorders (behavioral) Involve persistent and recurrent problematic behavior that seems to activate same reward systems as psychoactive substances do. The o(cid:374)ly (cid:862)offi(cid:272)ial(cid:863) (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ioral disorder i(cid:374) d m-5 = gambling disorder. Taking moderate amounts of a su(cid:271)sta(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374) a (cid:449)ay that does(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)terfere (cid:449)ith functioning. Physiological reaction to a substance (being drunk, getting high) Likelihood of intoxication depends on: what drug is taken, how much is ingested, individual biological reaction. Use in a way that is dangerous or causes substantial impairment (ex: affecting job or relationships) Not defined by how much is ingested, rather by how much use interferes with life. Usually des(cid:272)ri(cid:271)ed as (cid:862)addi(cid:272)tio(cid:374)(cid:863)- person is under the control of drugs.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers