POLS 4900 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Broken Windows Theory, Google Scholar

20 views2 pages
In reading the Broken Windows article, it seems throughout as if I am reading a series of
slanted, overly optimistic half-truths. The introduction of the concept of foot patrol policing as a
crime deterrent, and the subsequent perception of reduced crime and higher order seems to
make little sense without any real empirical evidence backing it up. Kelling and Wilson seem to
believe through their various individual encounters and studies on relatively modern policing
techniques that the presence of police in neighborhoods acts as a real deterrent of crime. This
belief is made especially obvious when they draw the parallel between a building with broken
windows and neighborhoods without comprehensive proactive and efficient policing.
Referencing their example of leaving empty, tagless, abandoned cars and the social effect of
adalis ourrig as a effet a proe suffiiet for their puliatio, hoeer I a’t help
but think that the immediate circumstances of leaving traceless vehicles unattended creates a
different type of scenario that of broken window theory because people as a whole explicitly
that there is no real way to be held accountable. Also the difference in location and
demographic between their case study of leaving abandoned cars showed that those who were
engaging in the vandalism of the car, however in one of the practical application tests we are
informed that the police were scoping out a neighborhood that was an all-black government
housing project. The difference in demographic and socio-economic status seems to be
completely ignored.
I the ook I eoutered ia Google “holar, Illusion of order : the false promise of
broken windows policing. Harourt i his itrodutio presets three preises eplaiig
similar to my belief why the broken window theory seems either flawed or incomplete. He
emphasized first that the policing techniques stemming from Broken Window theory replace
true justice as it regards to criminal justice and instead creates less of a participatory
relationship between local residents and police. His next premise is that, as a Broken Window
theory does not empirically prove to decrease crime in any way. Harcourt is also concerned
with the complete lack of acknowledgement for the costs of policing techniques which have
grown from Broken window theory and their significantly higher costs than measurable
benefits. The list truly goes on.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In reading the broken windows article, it seems throughout as if i am reading a series of slanted, overly optimistic half-truths. The introduction of the concept of foot patrol policing as a crime deterrent, and the subsequent perception of reduced crime and higher order seems to make little sense without any real empirical evidence backing it up. Kelling and wilson seem to believe through their various individual encounters and studies on relatively modern policing techniques that the presence of police in neighborhoods acts as a real deterrent of crime. This belief is made especially obvious when they draw the parallel between a building with broken windows and neighborhoods without comprehensive proactive and efficient policing. The difference in demographic and socio-economic status seems to be completely ignored. He emphasized first that the policing techniques stemming from broken window theory replace true justice as it regards to criminal justice and instead creates less of a participatory relationship between local residents and police.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers