INR 2001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Global Politics, Age Of Enlightenment, World Trade Organization

22 views3 pages

Document Summary

Theoretical issues: big paradigms: realism and liberalism a. i. Realism: oldest school of thought in international relations, thucydides" peloponnesian wars - first realist book, athens and sparta were doomed to fight because they could not trust each other. c. i. Growing power of one would come at the expense of the other: strong do what they can, weak do what they must. d. i. Fact of nature - survival, naturally predators d. ii. Cooperation will only happen in the state"s best interest: key points e. i. International system is anarchic - no one will necessarily come to your assistance. e. ii. Self-help system - amass power to protect yourself e. iii. Classical realism - dark interpretation of human nature e. iii. 1. In the absence of enforceable law, states will conflict. Structural realism: structural (neo-realism) - focus on structure of the system a. i. Anarchy = certain patterns: nature abhors a vacuum so we expect to always have some balance power b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers