BSC 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Abo Blood Group System, Thomas Hunt Morgan, Mendelian Inheritance

16 views4 pages

Document Summary

One gene may have more than two alleles. Multiple alleles increase the number of possible phenotypes and may show a hierarchy of dominance in heterozygotes. Figure 8. 9 multiple alleles for coat color in rabbits. Some alleles are neither dominant nor recessive, and heterozygotes have an intermediate phenotype. Figure 8. (cid:1005)(cid:1004) i(cid:374)(cid:272)o(cid:373)plete do(cid:373)i(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e follo(cid:449)s me(cid:374)del"s la(cid:449)s. Two alleles of a gene produce both phenotypes in the heterozygote. Abo blood group system has three alleles of the gene: ia, ib, and io. Figure 8. 11 abo blood groups are important in transfusions. Phenotypic expression of one gene is influenced by another gene. Allele b (black) is dominant to b (brown) Allele e (pigment deposition) is dominant to e (no pigment deposition hair is yellow) Gene e determines the phenotypic expression of gene b. Genotype and environment often interact to determine phenotype. These rabbits and cats have a mutant allele for the coat color gene.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers