MMW 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Greco-Persian Wars, Persian Language, Peloponnesian War

70 views3 pages

Document Summary

Outline lecture sixteen test for democracy: the persian wars. Key points from last lecture: geographical and social factors shaping a shared hellenistic ethos of individualism and independence, cultural and political developments providing the seeds for democratic systems, cultural values: ar te and agon, formation of the polis b. 1. City states is not enough to explain what polis really means: ascendancy of the hoplite phalanx, reforms of the tyrants. Improved communication upset the balance of world affairs . With the road, now it takes a week a. iv) (a. iv. 1) (a. iv. 2) Buffer zone between regions now smaller: the ionian catalyst b. i) ionian rebellion led by aristagoras of miletus against darius in 499. Why athens and eretria intervened when sparta would not (b. i. 1. a) Athens and ionian allies attacked sardis in 498 (b. i. 2) (b. i. 2. a) (b. i. 2. b) Used all resources at his disposal: the first persian invasion in 490 c. i) a crisis of choice (c. i. 1) What to do with athens"s limited force? (c. i. 1. a)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers