LTEA 142 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Korean Diaspora, Mass Games, Biopolitics

53 views2 pages
22 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Lecture 14, 05.02.2018
In South Korea, the sport does not survive the death of Rikidozan in late 1963 and interest all
but vanishes by the 1970s
Yet Rikidozan remains as a complex and often contradictory memory for the South, the North
and the Korean diaspora in Japan
Hes a great atioalist figure for North Korea eause he as oth ati-Japanese and anti-
Chinese
His last words were: I am a Korean
Having Fun in North Korea: the Biopolitics of Travel and Leisure
Power to foster life (biopower)
Disciplines (individuals)
More about your own ability
Diet
Sports
Biopolitics (population)
Public health
Vaccination campaigns
Social security
For fun: sleep, watching films, video games, drugs, liquor, promiscuity, gambling
The ad thigs are uprodutie, ad for od, ee though there fu
Fun in North Korean? Absent? Fake?
‘ole of ass ulture, its ifrastruture ad its ators i orgaizig peoples leisure
Good wholesome fun vs. bad fun
Leisure activities clearly have a basic ideological purpose (similar to, or rater hard to
differentiate from, mass culture)
Activities are collective (mass gymnastics, team sports, social gatherings, club meetings
for more individual hobbies like painting or literature)
Activities are taught within an ideological framework (singing folk songs or dancing
traditional peasant dances is good because they are Korean, collective, and
representative of the culture of the laboring masses)
System: helps the nation as a whole
But also tied to considerations of health and hygiene
Haig proper fu is good for the orkers health i.e. their life epeta,
productivity and reproductivity)
Not devoid of military considerations
Iorporatio of sports ad praties of odil are ito dail shedules:
Morning calisthenics in the workplace
Quarterly fitness tests
Good fu keeps the orkers us so the dot egage i the rog kid of fu
For eaple i the ale orkers doritories: asturatio, hooseual
behavior, fighting
Fu is aipulated
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In south korea, the sport does not survive the death of rikidozan in late 1963 and interest all but vanishes by the 1970s. Yet rikidozan remains as a complex and often contradictory memory for the south, the north and the korean diaspora in japan. He(cid:859)s a great (cid:374)atio(cid:374)alist figure for north korea (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause he (cid:449)as (cid:271)oth a(cid:374)ti-japanese and anti- His last words were: i am a korean. Having fun in north korea: the biopolitics of travel and leisure. For fun: sleep, watching films, video games, drugs, liquor, promiscuity, gambling. The (cid:858)(cid:271)ad(cid:859) thi(cid:374)gs are u(cid:374)produ(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e, (cid:271)ad for (cid:271)od(cid:455), e(cid:448)e(cid:374) though the(cid:455)(cid:859)re fu(cid:374) Ole of (cid:858)(cid:373)ass (cid:272)ulture(cid:859), its i(cid:374)frastru(cid:272)ture a(cid:374)d its a(cid:272)tors i(cid:374) orga(cid:374)izi(cid:374)g people(cid:859)s leisure. Leisure activities clearly have a basic ideological purpose (similar to, or rater hard to differentiate from, mass culture) Activities are collective (mass gymnastics, team sports, social gatherings, club meetings for more individual hobbies like painting or literature)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers