HILA 132 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Economic Nationalism, Esure, Plan Of Ayala

46 views5 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Revolutionary populism and its limits: the presidency of lazaro cardenas. Soil and revolution: old layers of soil covered by new layers, old layers still there, does not disappear, old layers can be plowed up, mixing with the new. Lazaro cardenas: might (cid:271)e me(cid:454)i(cid:272)o"s (cid:373)ost popular preside(cid:374)t, the most revered for many, first populist president. Populism in latin american was a political movement by certain elite groups to bring about certain political and social changes: twofold goal. Create alternative base of authority in government to oust porfirian elites who dominated governments in the region. Bring about a level of social and economic justice, empowering more marginalized groups in the process: break down the power of traditional latin american oligarchies (porfirian, obregon/calles types) Me(cid:454)i(cid:272)o"s so(cid:272)ial (cid:272)risis: agrarian reform was proceeding slowly. 1934: only 10% of all arable land in mexico was redistributed to communities. 2 million rural people remained without land, living precarious lives.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers