ENV S 1 Lecture 5: Anth 2 Lecture 5 10:3:16

67 views3 pages
5 Oct 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

From evolution to ethnography (small scale studies: 19th century anthropologists worked on the topic of evolution, franz boas founded us anthropology on different concepts: b. i. Should study people in moments of time b. ii. Armchair anthropologists (sit on porch and make general assumption conclusions) a. i. common in 19th century because hard to go to places to study people a. ii. never really meeting people: little field research, grand explanatory theories c. i. Link everyone to one big explanation: mixed prehistorical, historical and present-day evidence, evolutionary schema e. i. U. s. early anthropologist in ny (not a pro) Lewis henry morgan (1818-1881: ethnography of iroquois, ancient society (1877, unilineal social evolution: [one way to evolve in society and culture] c. i. Franz boas (1858-1942: founded north american anthropology a. i. Critiqued unilineal social evolution and museums: boas-career b. i. Made many of his critiques about unilineal b. iv. Created first u. s. anthropology department of columbia u. (1899) b. iv. 1.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers