HDFS 2200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Continuity Equation, Baby Boomers, Socioeconomic Status

32 views4 pages

Document Summary

Themes and issues in adult development and aging. How do we define age: adult: 18 and up, chronological, responsibility, role transition. Continuity principle: changes that people experience in later adulthood build on experiences from former years, changes in life build in a cumulative fashion. Identity: looking older to others but knowing who you are. Working with older adults: treating people how they want to be treated. Principle of individuality: as people age, they become more different from each other. Intraindividual differences: variations in performance within the same individual, multidirectionality: development takes place in multiple directions. Growing old vs. growing sick: recognizing the oneset of disease vs. growing old. Primary aging: normal changes over time. Secondary aging: changes over time leading to impairment due to disease rather than normal aging, disease related impairments. Individuals experiencing a rapid loss of functions across multiple areas of functioning: rapid decline before death. Optimal aging: changes that i(cid:373)pro(cid:448)e the i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s fu(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)i(cid:374)g.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers