GEOG 1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Radburn, New Jersey, William Henry Duncan, Frederick Law Olmsted

39 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Now part of the rust belt , as many of the factories are no longer active. 45% of population worked in manufacturing (61,237) 1914: 50% of all cars made here. Japan: first country in asia to industrialize. All early industrial cities were on a major waterway. Urban advancements: steel skyscraper, most place within cbd, 1885 - chicago home insurance building: first metal skyscraper, the elevator, 1854: elisha otis. Equipped with hydraulics (brakes and lifts) and safety brackets i: worked in toy manufacturing for a number of years, the factory, home is no longer a place of work i. Birth of the commute: arkwright & co. (circa 1769) i. ii. Textile factory based in england: ford rouge plant: largest ever constructed i. Based slightly outside the city of detroit, mi: 93 buildings (15 million square feet, assembly line i. Henry ford: able to cut the cost of car manufacturing almost in half ii. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers