ASIA AM 10 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Japanese In Hawaii, Strike Action, Company Town

35 views3 pages

Document Summary

Oral history paper- find someone to interview. 1960"s air travel cheaper- new trope (theme) deserve trip to paradise. Revival of arts such as hula, the kanaka language. Hula tells native connections to land, ocean, and native origins. Women as teachers and elders in the movement. Connected to other islands through seafaring cultures. Deep cosmological ties and responsibility (kuleana) to the land ( aina): taro. Land was stewarded by chiefs (ali"i) but for the common good. Wanted to make sure native hawaiian islands would not become subject to. 1830s: great mahele (property ownership, privatize so native people can have access to native land) and foreign investment. Sugar and pineapple cultivation (c&h sugar cuba and hawai"i) 1882 cea and rise of japanese migration. Chinese exclusion act created vacuum-> more migration of japanese. From kingdom to republic to territory-hawai"i undergoing rapid constitution. 1887: bayonet constitution: eroded the power of monarchy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers