CBNS 108 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Adult Stem Cell, Embryonic Stem Cell, Myod

11 views5 pages

Document Summary

What can alter the developmental program of a cell: master regulatory genes, cellular environment. Master regulatory genes: the developmental program of a cell can be altered by the expression of master regulatory genes (i. e. myod), example: the expression of myod, activates muscle differentiation genes in fibroblasts, which normally makeup connective tissue. These master regulatory genes often trigger subsequent gene expression cascades that specify fate (i. e. hox genes). Cell environment: the developmental program of a cell can be altered by the cellular environment (i. e. repressors/activators), example: cell fusion experiments. Can be altered by changing the cellular environment of repressors and activators. Fusion of human liver nucleus into the mose muscle fiber caused human muscle protein expression. Demonstrated homologous activators/repressors in the cell could change gene activity. For example: brain, bone marrow, blood, blood vessels, skeletal muscles, skin, and the liver. Stem cells proliferate without specialization (i. e. overall function) Example: neuroblasts ganglion mother cells neurons, stem progenitor neurons differentiated.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers