SOCECOL 13 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Randomized Experiment, Statistical Inference, Descriptive Statistics

14 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 1: state, state-craft (the art and science of governing a state or nation), decision- making with big data a. i. Classical statistics comprises two major decision support tools a. i. 1. Compresses or distills complicated situations into a a. i. 2. few or more easily grasped elements. Starts with a few well-formed but simple elements and reconstructs complicated situations. Chapter 1 the benefits and risks of using statistics: benefit a. i. Enables us both to acquire a simpler grasp of complicated situations and to reconstruct complicated situations from simple summaries: risk b. i. Poorly executed, stats can mislead or worse: moral c. i. Knowing the conclusion is insufficient, one needs to know (starting with data collection) the process used to arrive at the conclusion: statistics data collection d. i. Collections of procedures and principles for gaining and analyzing information in order to help people make decisions when faced with uncertainty d. i. 1. If you are certain, you don"t need statistics.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers