CHI 123 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: White Privilege, Homicide, Homophobia

50 views4 pages
5/17/18 UNDERSTANDING TEEN VIOLENCE
Had’s Model
Basic tenets
o Expressions of adolescent violence are a reformulation of societal pressures that are
grounded in the complex intersection of race, class, and gender politics (p. 61).
o He sociocultural context, I particular socialization, nuances the specific manifestation of
violence.
o Itealized oppessio ad hated of the othe ho a e a io of e
contributes to black on black and brow on brown violence.
Aggravating Factors
Devaluation
Disruption or erosion of community
Dehumanization of loss
Rage
Devaluation
Epeiees of agializatio, steeotpig, otheig, eig edeed iisile a esult i
feelings of devaluation.
Devaluation may occur within and outside the family.
Situational devaluation
o Abuse/neglect
o Abandonment
o Divorce
o Peer rejection
Wounds/soul wounds
Societal Devaluation
Impact on youth of colors:
o Criminalization of males
o Incarceration rather than education
o Institutionalized racism and classism
Impact on girls:
o Colorism
o Objectification exoticism
o Standards of beauty
o Institutionalized racism and classism
Poor and working class youth:
o Classism and class based assumptions
o You have to dress the part
Impact on LGBT youth:
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

I(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:374)alized opp(cid:396)essio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d hat(cid:396)ed of (cid:862)the othe(cid:396)(cid:863) (cid:449)ho (cid:373)a(cid:455) (cid:271)e a (cid:373)i(cid:396)(cid:396)o(cid:396) of (cid:373)e contributes to black on black and brow on brown violence. Aggravating factors: devaluation, disruption or erosion of community, dehumanization of loss, rage. Devaluation: e(cid:454)pe(cid:396)ie(cid:374)(cid:272)es of (cid:373)a(cid:396)gi(cid:374)alizatio(cid:374), ste(cid:396)eot(cid:455)pi(cid:374)g, (cid:862)othe(cid:396)i(cid:374)g,(cid:863) (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g (cid:396)e(cid:374)de(cid:396)ed i(cid:374)(cid:448)isi(cid:271)le (cid:373)a(cid:455) (cid:396)esult i(cid:374) feelings of devaluation, devaluation may occur within and outside the family, situational devaluation, abuse/neglect, abandonment, divorce, peer rejection, wounds/soul wounds. Impact on youth of colors: criminalization of males. Impact on girls: colorism, objectification exoticism, standards of beauty. Institutionalized racism and classism: poor and working class youth, classism and class based assumptions, you have to dress the part. Impact on lgbt youth: heteronormativity ad heterosexism, silent suffering, high suicide rate. Internalized homophobia: no (cid:396)oo(cid:373) to (cid:395)uestio(cid:374) o(cid:374)e"s se(cid:454)ualit(cid:455) Disruption of community: strong connection to community serves as a buffer against devaluation, disruption of community robs youth of a sense of security, connectedness, acceptance and identity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers